The Vasco Da Gama Pillar
The Vasco Da Gama Pillar was built by Vasco Da Gama in 1499 to welcome ships to the harbor. It is the oldest remaining European Monument in tropical Africa. It was initially located near the Sheikhs palace in town however its Christian connotation caused discontent among Muslims and was soon taken down. Later under Portuguese insistence, it was set up in its present location in the 16th Century.
The Portuguese Chapel
This is a small building in the southern part of the town. It was built before St. Francis Xavier visited Malindi in 1542. It is here where St. Francis buried one of the sailors who died on his ship. The Chapels south east wall had a crucifix painted by the Portuguese. Outside the Chapel was a graveyard of Portuguese tombstones, but today there are many modern graves, among them of Malindi pioneer Commander Lawford of Lawford Hotel and J. Bell Smith the first British Administrator for Malindi.
The House of Columns (Malindi Museum)
Malindi Museum also known as the House of Columns dates back to before 1891 where it is initially thought to have been an Indian trader’s house. Through the years it changed hands from being the first hospital for Malindi to a fisheries office and later to being offices for the game department followed by the Wildlife Conservation and Management and Game Department where it was finally handed over to the National Museums of Kenya in 1999. In 2002 renovations to the building began with funds from the German Embassy. The building was opened to the public as a Museum in 2004. Currently Malindi Museum hosts the Coelacanth Exhibition and also hosts the Webb library which has plenty of books and journals on subjects of your choice.
The Malindi Heritage Complex Museum
This building was built towards the late 19th Century possibly before 1891 to accommodate the first British Colonial Administrative Officer for Malindi District. The building was gazetted as a national monument on 23/08/91 Gazette Notice 3650 and confirmed on 13/04/95 Gazette Notice 2016. The District Commissioner and his staff moved to their new office in 2012. National Museums of Kenya then rehabilitated and opened the building to the public on 24th December 2013. The building has now been renovated and hosts exhibition /collections from the coastal communities of the Swahili, Mijikenda and Dawida.
P.O.Box 939-80200 Malindi.