NYERI MUSEUM (AFRICAN NATIVE COURT)
Kiama hall was built in 1924 and started to operate on 4th of July 1925 as the native court dealing majorly with the Agikuyu customary cases and presided over by the by the African Court Elders, these elders were selected by chiefs.
As volume of cases increased, the British Government in early 1956 established another court next to the African Native Court and employed more elders to be able to deal with criminal cases. The court rooms could also be used by the Local Native Council and the senior chiefs in the absence of active cases.
The Court elder (Judges) and their Soldiers (Njama) were housed in the high raised timber structure next to the court and had a small stone built kitchen as a matter of fire precaution. The court operated until 1961, when the current law courts were established next to Nyeri County Headquarters’ and employed learned Magistrates and competent interpreters and clerks.
The facility was temporarily used by the Ministry of Education and later the District Officer allowed some churches, women groups and private organizations on request until 2007 when the National Museums of Kenya refurbished them to the current status. It should be noted that it was gazzeted as a national monument on 09/03/2001 Gazette Notice 1427 by the National Museums of Kenya.
Entrance to the Museum is free.
Curator: Ms Wambui Nelly Mwangi