Rabai is well known in the annals of history as the place where Christianity and modern learning in Kenya started well over 150 years ago. In 1994 the Krapf Memorial Museum was founded to give formal and a perpetual reminder to monumental events during the advent of early missionaries. Stories about the first missionaries were passed on by word of mouth and are still told today.
Rabai is situated about 25 km north-west of Mombasa, off the Nairobi-Mombasa highway on Mazeras-Kaloleni road, about half an hour’s drive from Mombasa.
Rabai mission station was founded by Ludwig Krapf a CMS – Church Mission Society missionary and the first church (Saint Paul, Anglican Church of Kenya) was built here in 1846. A part from spreading the Christian message in Kenya hinterland, it also played a major role in emancipation of slaves in East Africa.
The Curator Rabai,